Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Dress of Doom


WARNING: Extremely girly post follows!!!
Today began the hunt for the elusive bridesmaids dresses. For those of you who don't know, my brother (age 23) is getting married in October to his "high school sweetheart" as the cliche goes. They've been together since November of 2000, so it's pretty much an "it's about time" sort of thing. At any rate, I am co-maid of honor for this wedding, and thus will be very busy before too terribly long. So today was the day for the dresses. This is the part that I've been dreading the most because I was afraid that I wouldn't find anything that looked good, but I'd have to pay a ton of money anyway. This is how the adventure began--me feeling queasy at the thought of having to try on dresses that probably wouldn't fit with my super-skinny co-maid of honor.
Once we started, though, it turned out not to be so bad. We tried on tea-length dresses, and long dresses. We had to make my brother, who's 6'3", carry the long dresses, because all of us women are 5'3" or less and we were pretty much tripping over them as we tried to carry them. As we were trying on dresses, I found that I was not the only one who had issues with how the dresses looked. Jenna (the co-MOH), didn't like most dresses because she felt she didn't have enough to fill them. I, on the other hand, have been abundantly blessed in that area. So the funniest part of the whole thing was realizing that I require a dress that is THREE sizes larger on the top than it is on the bottom. HA!!! So, I'll have to order the larger size and then it will have some HARD CORE alterations done... Oh yeah and because it's a long dress, they have to cut off the bottom HALF of the skirt because I'm so short. But, I really am pleased with how it looked on, so no more queasy feeling for me... Yeah! Anyway, the picture above is the dress that I'll be getting. It looks really plain from the front, but it has some beading/embroidery on the back that is fun, and what's more important is that it looks REALLY good on!!!

9 comments:

georgia said...

The best part will be if you're able to wear it to other functions besides the wedding. Then you'll really get your money's worth. Is it going to be red?

JayBird said...

you have a 6'3" brother? just jokin'... mindy has a 6'5" brother. anyway, the dress is cool. hope you have a great time.

Jeni said...

georgia-yes it will be red! :)
jaybird- yes my brother is 6'3" and I am 5'2"... The men in my family are all fairly tall and the women are all VERY short. My great-grandmother was only 4'11" BEFORE she started shrinking! :)

TimmyMac said...

Thanks for the warning on your post. I took a deep breath, read really fast, and made it through okay. :-)

Seriously, I hope you have an awesome time at your brother's wedding.

sabu said...

the dress is great, i am sure you will look beautiful.

Dennis Clifton said...

now....we must have pictures...now that our imagination is properly stirred...

SherryP said...

Wow! A bridesmaid dress that is not over done with ruffles, flowers, bows and ribbons!!!

Jeni said...

Den, you'll get pictures in October... After the wedding... :o) I am so eeeeevil...

No(dot dot)el said...

ohh, the joy of bridesmaid dresses.