Friday, June 09, 2006

Don't Eat This Book

Being the bibliophile that I am, I have a membership card to Barnes and Noble. This card usually offers me such pleasures as 10% off all purchases I make in the store, as well as occasional e-mail coupons awarding me an additional percentage off. Yesterday the coupon I received was different. It was not for an additional percentage off--It was a coupon for a FREE tall Starbucks Frappuccino. Of course this warranted a near-immediate visit to our local Barnes and Noble.
Once again, being the bibliophile that I am, almost ANY trip to Barnes and Noble results in the purchase of at least three books. (Last week I did manage to escape without purchasing a SINGLE book... I was looking for a certain CD that they didn't have at Best Buy, I walked into the music area, it was right there in front of me. I grabbed it, bought it, and ran out of the store as quickly as possible to avoid the temptation of the books...)
At any rate, this particular visit to Barnes and Noble resulted in the purchase of three books, along with the most recent issue of Poets & Writers magazine (which I should really subscribe to, since I buy it almost every time, anyway). The first two books were: Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk and The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Chuck Palahniuk is the man who wrote the book Fight Club and his stories always very strange, creepy and intriguing. The other book just sounded good.
The third book I bought is found in the title of this post: Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock. For anyone who doesn't know, Morgan Spurlock is the man who did the documentary Supersize Me. This book sort of expands on what the movie covered as well as addressing completely different areas of the "obesity crisis". I just started the book and it is proving to be highly entertaining.
The moral of the story is, I need to stay away from Barnes and Noble until I get my gift card from work. It is a bad, bad place.

1 comment:

georgia said...

You could always give your free Starbucks coupons to me, thereby avoiding stepping into the place of enormous temptation.