Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Dorms Part II (Post 2 of 6)

Fall of 2001
I returned to the dorms for a second year in the fall semester of 2001. I remained in the same room because my friend T and I had decided we wanted to continue living in the same suite. We didn't really know anyone else that we wanted to live with, so we decided to just wait and see who we wound up with. This may not have been the best idea. This was my first experience with Christian roommates, and I am quite sad to say that it was not a good one.
I had started attending Intervarsity Christian Fellowship during the previous school year and had met quite a few new people. Four of those new people wound up being my new roommates, and they were all best friends to boot. This would not have been so bad had it not been for the fact that this was the year I was working graveyard at the Evil K and they were VERY loud best friends. But of course that was not the worst of it. I was used to not getting much sleep-- that's what college is all about. There were several other quirks that made this an interesting year-- though nothing quite as umm... let's just say special, as the previous year.
For example-- all four of these girls were from Las Vegas. To them it was cold when the temperature got down to 80 degrees. They started wearing sweaters in early September. And that was their choice to make-- but they also started turning on the heat and setting it to 70 degrees around the same time. Since I was trying to sleep as much as I could during the day because I worked at night, we developed a heater war. I would turn it off in the morning when I laid down to go to sleep so that I wouldn't melt, and I would wake up a few hours later covered in sweat because it had been turned back on. And there's more:
As you may have inferred from the previous post, my best friend at the time was a male. If you have known me long enough and well enough, you may even know who the male is. This is only relevant because he was also a part of the Intervarsity group that I was a part of and therefore all of my new roommates also knew who he was and had an opinion about our friendship. They had decided amongst themselves to create a set of rules regarding how they felt they needed to behave around males, and they claimed that this list of rules were the way that all Christian girls (I say girls and not women because they were 19...) should live. The rules, as best as I can remember, were as follows:
1) Girls shall not spend time alone with a guy at any time.
2) Girls should not be in mixed company (ie, guys and girls together; same place, same time) after midnight
3) Girls should only have friends who are girls.

Needless to say, I broke each of these rules-- I did not feel that it was inappropriate for a single girl and a single guy to hang out together in public, nor did I feel it was inappropriate to be in mixed company after a certain hour. For this, I was never really accepted among them and was constantly being "confronted" (because that's what people did in Intervarsity) with claims that they were "concerned" with the choices I was making. What this really means is that I received numerous lectures about the dangers of having a male best friend-- primarily that even Christian guys could not be trusted to control their urges, and the fact that I trusted my best friend implicitely was somehow an indication that I was not right with God.
Now, you would think that a group of girls who were so anti-guy would be above the drama of celebrity gossip... Not so. These girls were obsessed with celebrity gossip-- who was dating who, who was having a baby and who was the daddy. Apparently, it was okay for them because they weren't Christians. Why a group of Christian girls who were deadset against relationships would condone the glamorization of celebrities' rocky romances is beyond me. It didn't really bother me most of the time.
But there was just one time when it went a little bit far. I came home one afternoon after class and I found the four of them in the living room with a box of tissues, all of them crying. I got worried. Had somebody died? Was somebody sick? Was it somebody I knew also? I waited a minute and then I asked what was wrong. A couple of them blew their noses, rather dramatically, before one of the girls opened her mouth and sobbed, "Justin and Brittany broke up," which was followed by some more nose blowing. (Keep in mind that this was back when Justin Timberlake was a boy-bander dating Brittany Spears who was likely just as trashy then as she is now...) This rather unimportant and predictable event elicited almost as severe of a reaction as what these girls had on September 11, which we all experienced together that year. How can anybody feel that this was an appropriate reaction? How does the end of the relationship between "Justin and Brittany" affect us? And that was pretty much how the whole school year went. Between the lectures about my "inappropriate friendship" and the overdramatization of the impact of celebrity relationships on our everyday lives, the noise, the heat, I was quite relieved when the school year was over.

6 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

jeni- that was so funny. really i can't believe how people become so attached to celebrities like that. that was just so funny though. those are the kinda of scenarios that make me want to say that girls are stupid. could you imagine a group of guys sitting around crying over justin and brit?
sidenote i have heater wars with my current roomate. he's winning cause the bills are crazy and i have begun to grow up in that area. i am just constantly in a sweater, hat, and scarf.

Jeni said...

noel- I can't imagine a group of the women I'm friends with sitting around crying about a celebrity relationship either. This is yet another reason why I don't click with super girly girls. Sorry about the current heater wars. :)

TimmyMac said...

I love the idea that it is okay to gossip about someone if they're not a Christian . . . I wonder if then holds true that it is okay to kill non-Christians too . . .

digapigmy said...

as long as we think the non- Christians are likely to try to kill us at some near future time it is definitely OK to kill them first. we'd be stupid not to.

you know what's amazing to me is how every girl/woman i've ever known says how much they hate girly-girls and no one ever claims to be one. kind of weird. do you think girly-girls even realize they are girly-girls? i'm voting no.

Jeni said...

plucky- there's also the fact that it's okay to be fascinated by the promiscuous as long as the promiscuous ones aren't Christians...

diga- I disagree that nobody claims to be one. A couple of years ago when I wrote a post about not clicking with "girly girls" some of the Mary Kay crowd got pissy with me.

No(dot dot)el said...

yeah and if you have been around a girly girl long enough you know the difference. you sir are not married to a girly girl at all so you prolly wouldn't know one if you saw one.