Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Die die die Evil Cold of Doom

Alas, the cold that I have been trying to avoid for weeks has finally descended upon me in full force. I woke up this morning with my eyes crusted shut. Yummy.

And now that all of the negative is out of the way, now on to the positive. At the prompting of someone who gives great advice and who is like family to me, I have found out that all students admitted into the MFA program at Vanderbilt University in Nashville automatically receive a $34000 benefit package which includes tuition, a living stipend as well as a salary for teaching a beginning creative writing course and health insurance. This continues into the second year as long as good progress is made toward the degree.
The real challenge is going to be producing something good enough to be admitted. This is the challenge. Can I do it? Is this what God has in store for me? I guess I will have to start working on the best writing of my life... The difficult part-- what should I use? Is it finally time for my memoir project? I feel like I can write it more objectively now. I have moved past the emotional attachments that were holding me back before. But is it the right choice for my admission package, or is there something else, something better, something less personal that I should be writing about. These are difficult choices to be made, but the knowledge that if this is what God has for me, it will happen is encouraging. I will just have to pray and pray and pray and pray that it will happen and that my best story is yet to come.

And this is for Plucky: Good Night and Good Luck (and this time it's actually night! Can you handle it?)

10 comments:

laura said...

That is so exciting! (not the cold... the school). And yes, if this is what God has in store for you, it will happen. I'll be praying with you :)

digapigmy said...

i will be praying also. but it would be nice if you would tell me what mfa stands for.

TimmyMac said...

I handled it . . . but barely.

I'm excited about this because I have so much confidence in you . . . and just the fact you are seeking God on this puts you miles ahead of the competition!

Erica said...

Wow Jen! I'll be praying for a good story idea. Keep us up dated

JayBird said...

i think you'll be more creative when you don't expect yourself to be creative.

Jen in Budapest said...

i think its wonderful...keep writing....you're a good writer.

digapigmy said...

seriously, what is an mfa?

Jeni said...

Sorry, diga... MFA=Master of Fine Arts. I would like to get a Master of Fine Arts degree in creative writing...

Chemane said...

Yay Jeni! You go girl & you're right, if it's God's will it'll happen & if it doesn't He has something even better in store for you!

Unknown said...

hey where are you...miss reading posts...sniff