Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pointless Pregnancy Tests

Okay, so I made a status update on Facebook about this today but the size of a status update cannot truly convey the humor in this situation.
So this morning I had a doctor's appointment with the new doctor I started seeing about a month and a half ago. I changed primary care doctors because I was not happy with my previous doctor who dismissed my concerns, which in my new doctor's opinion, are very valid concerns, particularly given my family history-- which he also didn't dismiss because my parents go to the same doctor. So anyway, I've been seeing him trying to get the tummy trouble situation figured out and resolved. This was my third visit to his office and he has ordered various blood and imaging tests for me-- and today, out of nowhere, he asks me if there was any chance I could be pregnant.
I thought I'd made it clear on my new patient paperwork and during my first visit that I have not engaged in the necessary activity for such a question. I reminded him that if I was, it would only be the second time in the history of the universe that such a thing has happened. He politely laughed and told me that he wanted to do a urine test to make sure there was nothing unusual going on there. I didn't really think much of it, because he'd had my parents do the same in the past.
I wait in the room while the run the urine test and a little bit later he comes back and tells me that everything looks normal there... "Oh, and you're NOT pregnant." As if this is news to me... He then proceeded to tell me that since he was running the urine, he had to check because while he was sure that I wasn't, lots of patients lie about their sexual history. Every doctor says the SAME thing.

So, here's the long and short of it:
Number of pregnancy tests over the last 8 years: 5
Number of times I needed one: ZERO

Hence my status update this morning:

45 minutes at the doctor's office and here's the big news: I'm NOT pregnant. *Note Sarcasm*

I'm afraid that despite the "*Note Sarcasm*" the humor of it may have been lost on those who don't know me very well.

6 comments:

Aniaj said...

So, I should cancel Gabriel, then? 'Cause I had him booked and everything...

Jeni said...

Nah, just have him announce some other great event... :)

TimmyMac said...

Awesome . . . I seriously doubt the sarcasm would have escaped anyone's attention . . . :-0

scoeyd said...

Me neither...

laura said...

I got the ***Sarcasm***, but that's because I'm a fan.

Erica said...

I'm a fan as well and was laughing head over heels when I saw your update