Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Coming Home Again

So, there is something to be said for coming home again.  I just got home on Sunday from a 10 day vacation and the first night home, everything felt surreal.  Even thought I've lived in Reno my whole life, it felt unfamiliar.  I mean, obviously I still knew where I was going and everything, but it somehow looked completely different.  It looked darker and brighter at the same time.  I can't really explain it.  So I found myself wondering why things felt so different.  Normally when I come home from a vacation, I am comforted by the familiarity of home - but this time I was kind of confused by the unfamiliarity of everything because I wasn't sure where it was coming from. 
I thought about it and realized that the life that I'm living now, the one that I have come home to, has not really become familiar yet.  I moved into my apartment less than a month before I left for vacation.  I have only had someone to miss when I go away for a few months.  After years and years of a life that was more lonely and empty, this current life still feels unfamiliar.  Not in a bad way, just in a way that means that there are still surprises, still new discoveries to be made, new feelings to be felt.  It's actually exciting.  Exhilarating.  I am enjoying the freshness of every new day for the first time in a very long time and it's taken the experience of coming home again to make me realize that.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

Jeni I am so happy for you. Coming home for you now has a new meaning, that's really just so awesome. Seriously girl, you were glowing!