Thursday, May 03, 2012

Motherless Day

As Mother's Day approaches, the television and radio stations are filled with advertisements for potential Mother's Day gifts.  I hear the beginnings of the commercials, then I have to change the station.  I don't want to think about what all of these people all over the country will be doing to honor their mothers while I am sitting at home wishing that I still had that privilege.  I am struggling, particularly because Mother's Day falls on the 13th this year.  I miss my mom because she was my best friend  - she was the one that I turned to for advice and also shared all of my happy times with. 
I know that my dad is having a difficult time right now, too.  It's hard because for the past two years I've had all the time in the world to spend with him, and now I don't.  It's hard to balance moving forward in my life while also honoring my dad and taking care of him as much as I can.  I know that he's a grown man and capable of taking care of himself, and yet in some ways he's not because until two years ago, he never really had to.  So missing my mom has so many levels.  I know that she would want me to be living my life.  She would be so happy for the good things that are happening for me right now.  She would want me to be enjoying every minute of this.  And I want to be able to do that.  But I also need to make sure my dad is taking care of himself, that he is not isolating himself - because I love and care about him - and also because nobody else is going to step up and do it.  I only pray that I can be the daughter that my mom raised me to be even though she's not here anymore.  And I pray that I can find a balance to living my own life while still taking care of my dad.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

Jeni- I can't even imagine that day without my mom. This made me so sad but proud of you at the same time because you are moving on and living your life and that is EXACTLY what your mom would want. And you are doing an amazing job honoring your mother and your father, never doubt that.